Reverse Engineering A Meaning

It's time to start heading into our next big project - Reverse engineering. 

That also means it's time for some process- the process of selection. 

We have been asked to select three objects which will be taken apart, measured and then reassembled via CAD. It behooves me to pick an object with some measure of interactivity, mechanization and meaning, as well as estimate the level of complexity that I can complete within the project time frame. 

We really turned the house upside on this one - I was going through boxes of stuff looking for something old enough to be mechanical instead of fully digital, and unprecious enough to spare through disassembly. 

As the firstborn, my Mom kept so many things from my childhood - some wonderful and fun, and some more sobering and odd. Like this nebulizer mask - it has to be at least thirty years old, but clearly it made an impact on my mom - enough that she tucked away one into a box of my childhood toys. It fits together, but I wonder if it's flexibility will work against me. 



Of similar import to my day-to-day life is my cane. It does come apart into a few smaller pieces, so that fulfills the mechanical aspect. It would also be interesting to model the cane because then I could begin designing attachments/additions in CAD. 




And my last choice - something durable and a household/camping necessity - the torch. I've had this one since my divorce when I first began to go camping up north alone. It's pretty innocuous-looking, but has several internal components that could be interesting to model. 



Overall, I think the torch is the most interesting to take apart and reassemble - I think it's doable in the timeframe, has interesting parts and is fairly easy to take apart. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Realistic Object: Renders

Remix Reframe

Spare the Back, Spoil the Artist